Monday, May 01, 2023

A Nasi Lemak outing

Last week one of my friends from Addu city visited Male' city for a training program.

He wanted to treat me to any kind of bite I preferred while he himself wanted to eat Nasi Lemak - the Malaysian traditional breakfast dish. But we decided to go on a nightly outing.

I asked around and were told by friends that they know only one place which offers Malaysia dishes, but my friend didn't want to go to Mamak in Hulhumale because the restaurant advertised itself as offering Malaysian food with a "Maldivian twist"; my friend wanted unaltered, pure Malaysian taste.

So on Thursday night I physically visited Secret Recipe and Marrybrown because some friends said those outlets also offered Nasi Lemak. Upon inquiring, they confirmed that they offer Nasi Lemak.

Hence on Friday night I and my friend decided to settle for Secret Recipe and although he said I am free to choose whichever food I preferred, like him I decided to order Nasi Lemak as I have not had it since returning from Malaysia after my first degree studies back in 2001.

The Nasi Lemak offered by Secret Recipe was indeed truly Malaysian, complete with fried anchovies which we Maldivians like.

But my friend had two surprises: one was that he wanted a side dish as well. He ordered a superb one called "crispy chicken fingers with chilli glaze" (pictured below) which was yummy.


The second surprise was: he had come to know my passion for lemonade from this blog and my Instagram page. So he ordered lemonade as well but according to the Secret Recipe original formula. As for me, I had Secret Recipe make a custom made lemonade for me again, with Sprite and more sugar - as my all-time favorite lemonade from The Keyolhu in Hulhumale.

Next time he visits Male', my friend suggested we should also go to a cinema outing - to Schwack, either to its Male' or Hulhumale halls.

It's nice to experience life's simple pleasures, and there is an additional satisfaction when you can share the experience with another individual whose positive company you can enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. My impression upon seeing the picture was this Nasi Lemak looked completely different from the usual. And then realised it's crispy chicken fingers πŸ˜‚
    Now I'm interested in trying this authentic Nasi Lemak. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't post the photo of the Nasi Lemak because it was slightly out of focus. Instead, I decided to post this photo of the Crispy Chicken Fingers because it's still mentioned in this blogpost. I apologize if this blogpost appears to mislead visitors due to the photo of the Crispy Chicken Fingers under the title mentioning a Nasi Lemak.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. So I went to Secret Recipe and tried the Nasi Lemak. It's nice to enjoy some Malaysian flavour here although it's not quite up there with what I've had in KL. Maybe SR's main strength lies in their cakes. Also had lemonade. While I found it refreshing, I realised why I normally avoid drinks with sugar syrup, soda, energy drinks etc. I found this rather sweet. Now imagine trying Keyolhu's hehe

      Delete
    4. Nothing can beat the Nasi Lemak available in Malaysia. We would need to travel to Kuala Lumpur for the original taste. One day I hope to :)

      The Keyolhu lemonade is definitely not for you! :D

      Delete