Monday, March 27, 2023

How do I write?

Someone asked me recently how ideas come to me and I had to reply "I don't know" because that's the truth.

I think sometimes it's our thought processes that organise themselves, which then we choose either to express it or not - in the form of writings or other kinds of expression such as the arts.

Such thoughts may arise in snippets, which can be written as anecdotes, flash fiction or microfiction - or simply as diary entries like Anne Frank. Of course, like her, you don't have to necessarily write an autobiography because the contents of a blog, if you have one, can be also considered as your autobiography.

Some of my thoughts and ideas run in my mind for days, weeks, or even months, and over time (and sometimes as short as one day) they might organise themselves into a piece of writing - in my mind - which then I write down as a blogpost, an essay, or a short story, etc.

It need not come as a surprise if the original idea takes years to form into a coherent piece of information. Many great writers of the world are well-known for just one or two books they had written in their lifetime.

Some authors claim that the best book they had written took five to ten years of endurance. Even Maldives' writer "Kashima" Ahmed Shakir said that it took him a decade to complete work on the biography of Mohamed Amin Didi (Maldives' first president of the first republic) which was published this year.

As for writing down itself, I used to store information in my brain as they came, and arrange the information there until the whole article had been arranged in my mind and then I would sit down and type away.

Now, because of my smartphone and internet being a convenient media, I would immediately open Notepad on my phone and note down in point form information as it comes to my mind.

I would Google words and phrases and also refer to Wikipedia in order to make my articles rich in vocabulary.

I would then take refuge in my room, retrieve the saved file, open Microsoft Word and start writing, editing and polishing the article.

I may sound like writing is a simple process but it is not. In fact, it is hard work especially if you are working with vague or half formed ideas. You can choose a new angle or perspective to flesh out the article so that you can produce a satisfactory piece of writing.

Editing and polishing the article can be mentally draining too. But in the end, from my personal experience, I can say that, just like other professions, occupations, and livelihoods, a completed piece of writing can be quite uplifting.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:13 AM

    As a journalist myself, let me say that when I choose a topic or subject, I think deeply about it, spend a lot of time researching, and then when I have enough information I am satisfied with, I start writing it down. It's like the culinary arts: the information has to be organised and presented to the readers in an attractive way. Otherwise, they won't bother reading if they perceive the report as tedious reading. Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete