Sunday, March 03, 2024

The perks of attending "Dune: Part 2" world premiere while in Maldives


I managed to do the same for "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" by getting tickets for the Friday opening at Schwack cinema's hall in Hulhumale.

So too I managed to go for the first show of "Dune: Part 2" on Friday night.

It's not an easy thing because people are just on attention when Schwack opens up bookings and online bookings are sold out perhaps within a matter of minutes or just a few hours.

But as usual, if you are willing to go queue at the cinema immediately after Jumah prayer at 1330 hours, chances are you will get tickets from people who did only book but for various reasons did not turn up to physically buy them.

It happened this Friday too and as expected I and a relative got seats next to each other from a good row - which is somewhere near the middle of the cinema.

The perks this time around was a key chain, neatly wrapped in a tiny cotton bag, with a metal "Atreides" logo attached to a leather key tag with the title of the movie and the words "only in cinemas".

It's not something big but it's a little token that symbolises the greatness of the movie which one critic called is the "best sci-fi epic of the century".

I will not dispute that reviewer's opinion because watching the movie at Schwack's Hulhumale cinema hall's gigantic screen with 7.1 Dolby surround system is the only way you can truly appreciate this marvelous - and cinematic - film.

And this coming from me while not being a fan of the "Dune" novels. In fact, as I blogged sometime ago, "Dune" was the only book I gave up reading because I didn't like Frank Herbert's stream of consciousness narrative style which confused me. This is in contrast to Leo Tolstoy's "War and Peace" and Arundhati Roy's "The Ministry of Ultimate Happiness" which, somehow, I managed to torture myself to read.

So I won't talk much about "Dune: Part 2" but let me say that there are two points which could be an excuse to make a "Dune: Part 3" to make it a trilogy but still not necessarily so. It has to do with a final decision that Zendaya's character takes, and whether Timothy's character wants to embark on a "holy war".

No comments:

Post a Comment