Monday, March 25, 2024

LIFE IN PICTURES: "Belissimo" for, erm, men?


Ironically, "belissimo" (ending with an "O") is a Portuguese word for "very beautiful" in the masculine sense. But Poise Perfumes shop in Maldives' capital island Male' sells this perfume and its related deo body spray which state they are a women's perfume and a women's deo body spray although the feminine version of the word is "belissima" (ending with an "A").

I first came to know about this perfume from a female relative. It was so pleasant I bought it immediately. It's very cheap actually. The perfume is priced at MVR 220. Not those perfumes which can skyrocket at prices above MVR 1,000 like Sculpture. I bought this package with the deo body spray for MVR 230. The additional MVR 10 was for the deo body spray, I guess. A cheap body spray then.

I don't understand why perfumes are gendered - man, woman, or uni-sex. Whose to say what is a male scent or a female scent or a genderless scent or a non-binary scent or even a transgender scent. For me a perfume is a perfume and a nice smell is a nice smell. Let's keep life simple, shall we?

But hold it right there: a friend says there's a reason why scents are gendered; she says a woman should wear a woman's scent because it's designed to attract men. Golly, I shouldn't wear women's scent then because it will attract men to me! Ugh!! Just kidding.

Anyway, I use perfumes that smell pleasant to me because I want a pleasant smell around me all the time - regardless of the perfume's gender, hahaha! I don't wear perfume to attract potential mates of either gender or no gender at all!! That's why I started using this Belissimo perfume for women and I was surprised that some of my male friends (from both Maldives and Sri Lanka) asked me the name of this perfume and they too started using this perfume!!!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:50 PM

    I totally agree with you on not caring whether it's a male or female scent πŸ˜„

    ReplyDelete