Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Sentence structure's effect on language's interpretation


A thought struck me last night as to why it took about three months to read Russian author Leo Tolstoy's seminal novel about the Napoleon wars titled War and Peace.

This realization has been in the making for some months, I guess, because after that book, I read a few others which equally were challenging and a few others which, on the other hand, were a walk in the park.

It's to do with sentence structure I realized. 

It seems that sentence structure can vary in translated works due to differences in language syntax and cultural nuances. Translators aim to convey the meaning accurately, but some structural adjustments may be necessary to ensure clarity and cultural appropriateness in the target language.

While the version I read is said to be the definitive translation, there was much I did not grasp, especially the paragraphs where Tolstoy described his philosophies which actually takes a better part of the second half of the book.

Among the reasons why the book is reputed is because Tolstoy discusses a lot of philosophy which is gripping and eye-opening.

So like some other fans, I think I might go for a second reading although it's kinda scary because it has more than half a million words in 1,200 pages! "Worse" than even Harry Porter's lengthiest installment!!

The book is in fact recommended by two close friends.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:21 AM

    Yes, that is very plausible

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reminded of certain times when the word "only" gives different meanings depending on where it is put in a sentence. It's just one single example.

    ReplyDelete