Thursday, July 27, 2023

Have you ever felt like your whole life was a lie?

I did, yesterday, when a Maldivian filmmaker friend brought my attention to this Instagram account.

It features more than 1,500 songs plagiarized by Bollywood, including the latest Shah Rukh Khan vehicle "Pathaan".

That James Bond wannabe's "Besharam Rang" was exposed some months back but at the time SRK fans claimed that only one line was borrowed. However, this Instagram account showed that the song had borrowed from some other songs, too.

A decade ago, a Maldivian friend brought my attention to a website which had made a similar research. I don't remember the URL now but I clearly remember him telling me that when he discovered that many Bollywood "classic" songs were plagiarized, he felt that his whole life was a lie. I couldn't agree more.

He went on to say that when Internet reaches all corners of Africa or any other remote corner of the world, it will become known how much material have been ripped off by artists of the younger generation such as Mithoon and Pritam. The horror of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment