Monday, June 12, 2023

Should I express conjecture?

I had to think about this after an anonymous commentator suggested that (s)he is sure I have an opinion about how the tourism industry works in Maldives.

I used to think the travel industry worked just fine until the scandal erupted about former tourism minister Adheeb corrupting MMPRC.

So I now don't have any clear picture of how tourism works here.

I have only half-formed ideas with regard to this issue and I believe it is not fair to express such conjectures and opinions that are not fully formed.

That's why I said I didn't have any opinion about how our hospitality sector now works.

If I start expressing my assumptions and presumptions, it would make me party to the "fitna" that seems to be tainting all walks of life now in Maldives.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:49 AM

    Well, nearly everything that we often talk & form opinions about are actually conjectures. There is always the other side of the coin, the information that we don’t have or choose to completely ignore because of our inherent biases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My point was about the information that we don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:04 AM

    Hilath is wise not to express opinions on everything though he is a writer. It's way better to remain silent on topics that one isn't too familiar with or have limited personal experience or knowledge about.

    ReplyDelete