Sunday, June 11, 2023

I don't know why I can't reach the "satori" state of mind anymore

Rewind ten years back and although initially I practiced meditation I soon didn't even have to meditate in order to reach the "satori" state of mind - that feeling of being one with the Universe with its accompanying calm state of mind where everything becomes so pronounced yet so peaceful.

It was an exhilarating state where you don’t need psychedelic substances such as marijuana, magic mushrooms, LSD, MDMA, etc., for two dimensional views like art, photography, and videography to appear in 3D, and for three dimensional sounds such as music to be “seen” on the platform of your mind, and such. Reached through meditation or not, the "satori" state itself brought about such experiences without the use/abuse of such substances.

Fastforward to ten years later and when I now try to meditate I always fall asleep, even when I am sitting on a chair. Hence, I have stopped meditating altogether.

So I am dumbfounded why meditation doesn't work for me now. The "satori" state doesn't come now even if I do not meditate.

The only comfort I get is that I have experienced that state of mind and realized that there is nothing to worry about in life however dire circumstances I face because even if I now cannot take refuge in the "satori" state, I have experienced and obtained proof that nothing really matters in the end.

I am not saying my experience has to align with other people's experience: I am just pointing out that Richard Jefferies' observations as described in his book "The Story of My Heart" may not work for everyone.

Read a short analysis of his book by Maria Popova in her blogpost on The Marginalian titled: The Universe and the Soul: Richard Jefferies on Nature as Prayer for Presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment