Friday, April 12, 2024

Quotable quote


"I was new to the profession. I had never been to any school or academy for acting. If I had to learn anything about performing, I would have to be my own teacher, and use my own instinct and intelligence to figure out the 'whats' and 'whys' and 'hows' of the business.

For a creative desire to grow inside you, you do not always need a teacher. You must look deep inside yourself and draw out the passion for your chosen field. Teaching helps a little. But it ceases to be a guide after a certain stage, sometimes even becoming a hindrance. And finally you are as good or as bad as you can be. Talent goes hand in hand with presentability, which is the key word for the world to recognize you.

I knew I had that quality, for my mirror always told me, as it lit my reflection in it every time I looked into it, with a chorus of angelic voices, 'Wow, let the world see you!'

This is no boast, nor any pampering of my ego, both of which can be terribly disastrous and self-annihilating, but a confession of my own confidence. I looked forward to my audition in Poona. My moment had arrived. Destiny had clutched my hand, and I'd make sure that it never left it. I was about to set out to face a challenge."

-- Dev Anand, "Romancing with Life" 

No comments:

Post a Comment