Friday, January 20, 2023

Letter to Hilath: Is "RRR" truly a "disappointing" movie?

Dear friend,

I was reading your blogpost about Bollywood movie "Thappad", dated 6 December 2022, where you expressed "disappointment" about India's Telugu language movie "RRR".

I was disappointed with this opinion of yours because you mentioned, in your blogpost titled "Reviewing my reviews", dated 16 January 2023, that reviews are personal opinions, and that a person can appreciate the finesse of a work of art in an objective manner even if the person personally dislikes the product.

Hence, I was shocked that you described "RRR" as a "disappointment" despite the movie being a major box office hit, and now going on to win international acclaim and shining at so many overseas awards such as the Golden Globes and Critics Choice awards.

Rather than simply dissing "RRR", as a reviewer, you should be analysing why so many millions of moviegoers (and not just Indian nationals) like the movie which is now gathering huge praise from all quarters of the world - if the foreign accolades speak for themselves.

Your offhand slight of "RRR", one of the best movies to ever come out of Indian cinema in its whole history, does make me wonder whether your casual dismissal of "RRR" is a result of inadvertently being caught up in the xenophobic attitude of the Maldivian Opposition towards everything Indian, as demonstrated by your paranoid countrymen's conducting of the #IndiaOut campaign, with complete disregard to the fraternal relationship of our both countries.

Maybe you should stop watching movies on your bad hair days, and instead, enjoy them only when you are in a good mood. Don't take this as a jibe at your Bipolar Disorder condition as I, as a longtime follower of your blog, am sympathetic towards your tragedies in life.

But even as I say this, I can't help but wonder whether you harbour a dormant sense of jealousy because your own compatriot moviemakers lack the imagination, talent, and capability of making a movie as epic as "RRR". Come to think of it: Dhivehi films do try to emulate, albeit unsuccessfully, the style of trashy Indian television drama serials and soap operas.

Therefore, if you make such outrageous comments about great works of art, just because you cannot relate to them on a personal level, you should be prepared for a wide backlash as an inevitable result of demeaning the product's dedicated and devoted fans and followers. Hence, you must refrain from making such ridiculous claims in a public manner on your personal blog if you wish to maintain and hold on to your good reputation as a reputable "journalist from Maldives".

Sincerely yours,
XX

6 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for kindly bringing my attention to the valid points you have raised in this letter. I fully agree that I must independently acknowledge the greatness of a product even if I don't personally like it. I admit that I should not simply declare I don't like something and leave it at that as that is unfair and does not reflect the truth of someone's good and admirable efforts. If I do want to say something in public, I should first objectively study it, and then express both my objective and subjective views so that readers can get a holistic idea about the product. Only that would amount to a fair review. Thanks and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am deeply sorry, and I offer my sincere apologies to everyone concerned, including everyone involved in bringing "RRR" to all moviegoers. In Sha Allah, in the future, I will do my best to the maximum extent possible in following all ethical principles while writing and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cracked up at 'bad hair days' πŸ˜€
    About RRR, I enjoyed it and admired the craftmenship. Gotta hand it to them for putting Bollywood on the international map like it's never been. Not quite a fan of the familiar storyline but the production values are tops.
    Maybe, just maybe it's time for India to strike gold at the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am actually wondering whether I missed something about the movie because I watched it on a "bad hair day" without been conscious of that. So I am planning to re-watch it again on Netflix on a day when I am sure I am in a "good mood".

    As one of the world's biggest film industries, I do hope that Bollywood strike gold at the Oscars, sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch it on the biggest screen possible. I saw it in a home theatre so I was able to appreciate the visuals more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I watched it on a 60 inch television. As you pointed out, the visuals were just amazing, dho.

      Delete