Thursday, October 10, 2024

‘We're dead alive’: A year of living, reporting the war on Gaza

As I pass the tents in Deir el-Balah’s Ard Shurab camp, a boy shouts to his mother inside: “Mother, the journalist Maram has come!”

The children recognise me now, after a year of reporting on this war. The women, too. People do not forget your face when you have sat in their tent and they have opened up to you, sharing details of their lives even as they insist apologetically that they do not want to talk, that they do not like the media or even trust it.

The women greet me, sometimes shy to shake my hand because they do not look as clean as they used to before this war, or even when I saw them last.

In that moment of discomfort - where they and I notice that their tent has grown shabbier, their clothes more worn and their children’s hair more dishevelled - I use a phrase that has become more common here now:

“In God’s eyes, people.” With a long sigh, they respond: “In God’s eyes.” READ MORE from Al Jazeera

No comments:

Post a Comment