Friday, August 16, 2024

The most heart breaking novel I have ever read


Just now I finished reading "A Fine Balance". I am still reeling from shock. SPOILER: Why should Rohinton Mistry bring tragedy to all of his four characters in the story 🤔? No wonder Indians want to leave India if they can do so 😞. I think I need a word that is worse than "depressing" to describe this book. 

Do I look forward to watching "Emergency" which is to be released on 6 September 2024? Yes. Like "A Fine Balance", the movie is also based on assassinated Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's sick and violent policies. So this book and this movie goes hand in hand and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Mistry's first novel "Such a Long Journey", which is also about Indira Gandhi's Emergency, was depressing too but "A Fine Balance" is his ultimate horror even if it's not the typical horror depicting supernatural entities.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:29 PM

    Touché Khilath....exactly my sentiments regarding this outstandingly well written but tragic story . A "nightmare life" if ever there is such a thing indeed🥱😭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shocking book, right? I wasn't expecting that at all. I mean, his first novel "Such a long journey" is also about Indira Gandhi's horrid regime but it comes nowhere near the terrifying happenings in "A fine balance".

      As long as those vested interests remain, Indian society will continue to safeguard their caste system. I am not sure who can break it up. Some Indians convert to Islam and Christianity but they still continue to suffer because everyone knows which caste they come from.

      I still can't understand why people have this notion that dark is bad and light is good. Is it because in evolutionary terms humans are afraid of the dark? Interesting question.

      Language and race, etc., are all connected, right? We can trace their branches and their origins will turn out to be the same.

      Delete