Friday, July 05, 2024

On boredom

Years ago, when my two daughters and I would come upon an obstacle such as a lamppost while walking down the street, we would play a game that involved calling out opposites as we briefly let go of one another’s hands: ‘Hot and cold!’ ‘Day and night!’ One time my older daughter cried, ‘Love and hate!’ Love and hate aren’t opposites, I explained, because they are both passionate. The opposite of love would be indifference. She understood immediately. When we encountered the next obstacle, she cried, ‘Love and indifference!’

Along the same lines, the opposite of boredom is not excitement, but calm. Boredom is a restless state of mind, generally marked by dissatisfaction. Just think of how often you feel uninterested in something without being bored. The monotonous car ride from Chicago through Midwest cornfields to the New England college I attended was never boring to me, but a fertile ground for daydreams. When your imagination is free to roam, you can lose yourself in reverie. But when you’re bored, you’re unable to fantasize. You can’t even think. READ MORE from Granta

No comments:

Post a Comment