Wednesday, November 01, 2023

What's a movie without atmospheric sound?



I got a 720p file for my laptop of "Mission Impossible" the very first part and the very best from the whole franchise of 7 parts. 

I watched the climax scene - it was awesome sound on my new Xemal speakers (https://hilath.blogspot.com/2023/10/birth-of-my-xemal.html).


And I just realized why cinema was important to me once. 

I travelled on that same bullet train from Paris (France) to Geneva (Switzerland) and to imagine how director Brian de Palma utilized the sound of wind whizzing by us was magical in itself. 

I fondly remember a high school mate and me going EVERY night to watch it when the government run Olympus Theatre screened it for some time on Laser Disc with 5.1 surround sound.

I am glad I went to Schwack Cinema in Hulhumale to watch "Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning - Part 1". 

Too bad the movie's box office did poorly than expected because its producers and distributors made the great mistake of releasing it just one month ahead of "Barbie" (https://hilath.blogspot.com/2023/08/movie-review-barbie-exposes-reality.html) and "Oppenheimer" (https://hilath.blogspot.com/2023/07/movie-review-oppenheimer-is-killer-score.html).

The chest-shattering sound of the series of bridge explosions towards the climax itself was worth the cinematic experience. I am glad I took the trouble of going to our suburban artificially reclaimed island with a relative.

It's kind of sad that the "Mission Impossible" franchise is over as Tom Cruise says the second part of "Dead Reckoning" will seal the franchise next year. I guess, quite naturally, he must now be tired of being engaged in that spy thriller for so many years. There's only so much a person can tolerate.

Why "Mission Impossible"'s first part is still a favorite classic among many cinema lovers could be that director Brian de Palma is a groundbreaking genius. 

As a Maldivian friend, who is into making feature length movies, short films, documentaries, and video songs, pointed out, the hand behind such great classics as "Carrie", "Dressed to kill", "Scarface", etc., need no further endorsement.

Yeah, I agree that de Palma had his time. People now don't talk about him much. But I guess people who like cinema, will forever remember his name. 

And obviously with humans, there will always be various mixtures of opinions: a Maldivian writer friend says that the first part of "Mission Impossible" is on a pedestal its sequels cannot hope to reach, while another Maldivian writer friend says that though technically great, he was frustrated that the better half of the movie was too engaged in finding that "key".

"What's a cinematic experience without good sound, eh. Good on you for getting that Xemal," another Maldivian friend commented to me when I told him about the M.I. part 1's climax on my Xemal. This friend is also a collaborator with the Maldivian movie maker I just mentioned, involved in making feature length movies, short films, documentaries, and video songs.

"I'm glad we can now enjoy a proper cinema experience here - especially Hulhumale Schwack since the screen is larger and sound is better than their Male' one", he went on to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment