Wednesday, November 01, 2023

The way I will communicate from now on...

Something odd I noticed about myself recently. I now find I can't answer some people's messages on the same day they send because the messages are many although I am ok with having many contacts (family, colleagues, friends, acquaintances, neighbors, fans, followers, and strangers) on my social media platforms.

But what happens now is, if I open an unread message and become aware of its contents, my mind gets triggered to immediately come up with answers and not just any answers but ones which are concise, clear, and needs no further clarification.

And the worst thing is if I don't immediately note down all those information, most of them are lost, sometimes forever. I guess the ageing process acts in ways that short term memory loss, absentmindedness, dementia, Alzheimer's disease, etc., could have already set in as now two years remain before I hit the half century mark in my life on this Pale Blue Dot.

So it's been sometime I have been practicing this policy of not opening any unread messages until such time as I become free to sit down and answer those particular messages because opening and checking the contents of those messages make my mind cluttered with answers I need to send to them.

When social media took the center stage of human civilization by storm, I remember one of my Maldivian street artist friends, who is also a bodyboarder, share his concern that his "friends" were angered he was not responding on the spot, a sore fact of life back then when users thought that immediately when the "seen" gets highlighted, the recipient is immediately obliged to answer even if he is occupied with other things.

This resulted in the break up of relationships and friendships for no justifiable reason.

However, over the years it seems this idea has dissipated largely much to the relief of people like my friend. I say largely because some people still act like their ego is attacked if we don't respond immediately. In my case, a mate from my first degree days requested me to be on WhatsApp because she said she wants to communicate with me more.

I did but I found it took me around three days before I reached her in my chronologically arranged list of attendance to respond to those people who message me. Though it's been weeks since she last replied to a message of mine, sometimes making me wonder if she's pissed off with me, I give the benefit of doubt to her because she may be in a similar circumstance as me.

So, dear everyone, please don't expect me to answer your communications immediately. I will respond to you all in due time, In Sha Allah. 🙌♥️ Peace. Aameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment