Thursday, June 22, 2023

MOVIE REVIEW: "Kathal: A Jackfruit Mystery" is Hindi slapstick comedy at its best

It's been a while since I watched an Indian slapstick comedy. I do make an effort to unwind and switch off my mind after watching serious stuff - by watching action movies and other no-brainers.

What caught my attention to "Kathal" was its attention-grabbing synopsis on Netflix which funded the movie and released it on 19 May 2023: two jackfruits ("sahkeyo" in Maldivian native language Dhivehi) go missing from the garden of a politician and he forces local police to stop doing everything, including tracing of missing persons, to concentrate the whole force's attention on finding out the fate of the two jackfruits.

The situation starts getting complicated because the police fail to make any headway in the case while they explore all angles such as the studying of CCTV footage, phone call tracing, and such, as the politician is under psychological pressure to make pickles from the missing jackfruits for a politician who is more senior in rank.

There is never a dull moment, including food fights, and a little romance that does not eclipse the fruity plot, and the movie ends with the mystery unsolved - or so it seems. Perhaps as a tribute or poking fun at Marvel movies, "Kathal"'s mystery is finally solved if you are patient enough to complete sitting through the end credits whereby the scene comes which shows what happened to the two jackfruits. It's a simple but hilarious solution to the mystery which is appropriate for a movie that seems to make fun of everything.

2 comments:

  1. I've had mixed reactions to Hindi comedy. Their slapstick is generally hit or miss but I'll take your word and check this out. Reviews aren't bad either. Let's see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand what you mean. I watched "Darlings" this week. I will write a short review. It's a rare Hindi dark comedy I liked. It's on Netflix.

      Delete