Friday, April 07, 2023

Beyond the white sands of the Maldives, women live in constant fear

Maldivian women face persistent intimidation, abuse and sexual harassment the moment we step outside.

By Fathimath Uzma Naseem, The Guardian

When I walk it is with my head down, handbag clutched to my chest and my keys gripped in my palm as a weapon – always. Always I am on alert in case a man tries to overpower and attack me. The world knows the Maldives as turquoise-blue waters and a vibrant underwater life like no other destination. White sand to take away all your woes. A honeymoon paradise.

That is how the Maldives masquerades – as a five-star holiday destination for tourists – while local people, especially women, are treated as second-class citizens.

We women constantly worry about being a victim of assault in a country where age-old misogynistic practices hinder us from establishing a foothold in society. Read More

***

(We men take things like this for granted. Only when we look at the world through a woman's viewpoint do we realize the dangers of a "patriarchal" society we live in.--Hilath)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:47 AM

    The typical Maldivian will be like aan, hulhaguge isthiumaaree baaaruthakuge avaiga jehi sahyoonee visnumah hellifa vaa kujjeh.

    ReplyDelete