Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Listening to Corallium's "Vinavi" time after time

It's not every day you discover gems which give you wonderful pleasures of life (such as my recent discovery of the taste of coconut toddy and the best lemonade I tasted so far).

It just happened that one of my friends went to the music show held at Olympus Theatre in Male' recently and discovered an amazing young Maldivian music band with astounding creativity.

Their name is Corallium and their album is called "Veshi" from which four tracks are now made available on Spotify.

Their vocals are awesome and so is the arrangement of instruments.

The top favorite track for me and my friend is "Vinavi" - which is hummed in falsetto throughout, with a clamoring at the very end signifying something that we couldn't make sense of.

In fact, this whole week I have been listening to this track time after time and never getting tired of it.

Indeed, discovering Corallium's "Vinavi" resulted in feelings for me similar to what I felt discovering my all-time favorite band Coldplay's "The Hardest Part" and my experience of my favorite folk artist Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone".

"I think they are now in their twenties. Imagine how creative they will get by the time they reach their thirties," my friend opined about the future of Corallium.

I couldn't agree more and am looking forward to more great stuff from them.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:17 AM

    Im not too optimistic about the prospects for young musicians in our country.
    Our society isn’t a very conducive environment for the spawning & flourishing of art forms. Some of the members of this young band will already be under intense pressure. They will be given ‘dharus, fatwas & mauloomaathu’ from left, right & centre to ‘guide’ them to the ‘right’ path. Finally, they will be left with no choice but to acquiesce or they themselves will realize the ‘sinful path’ they are treading on, just like the Meynaa Hassans, Ali Rameezs & so many others before them. Or the pressures of earning a living through a creative activity such as music will eventually lead them to the path of drugs & self destruction just like some of those very talented young musicians we knew many years ago who ended up living their lives in and out of jail. Btw where is our friend Easa now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:20 AM

    Trio's vocalist Chippe, who has returned to the "right path", gave an interview saying he had one last commitment but that he felt he might die in his sleep prior to that engagement and thus gave up that gig.

    ReplyDelete